Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
SharePoint

Discussions List : Water trays
Use the Discussion list to hold forum-style conversations, including question and answer, on topics relevant to your team, project, or community.

Edited: 11/7/2016 9:29 AM
Picture: Gail Sampson
Gail Sampson
Water trays
How often should we be cleaning out our water trays in our quad stack? We seem to get a lot of build up in those trays. What is the easiest way to clean out the trays? I currently pull out the baffle to get to the water to vaccum out. Any thoughts? Thank you
Picture Placeholder: Clint Davis - Armstrong Journal, IA
  • Clint Davis - Armstrong Journal, IA
http://users.webpressllc.com:80/User%20Photos/Profile%20Pictures/gails_MThumb.jpg?t=63538036227" alt="Picture: Gail Sampson" />
Gail Sampson
How often should we be cleaning out our water trays in our quad stack? We seem to get a lot of build up in those trays. What is the easiest way to clean out the trays? I currently pull out the baffle to get to the water to vaccum out. Any thoughts? Thank you
311/4/2016 11:52 AM11/7/2016 9:29 AMNoQuad-Stack
12/4/2015 9:51 AM
Edited: 11/7/2016 1:56 PM
Gail Sampson

​We clean each Quad water system once a minth. They are on a maintenance rotation so that each quad is cleaned monthly.  Since we have switched to the RBP liquid gold we no longer have the build up in the pans or in the resivoir. To do a good cleaning the best way is to pull the water box out , at that point you can pull the pan to clean it.

Picture Placeholder: Jim Rutz - P & P Press
  • Jim Rutz - P & P Press
http://users.webpressllc.com:80/User%20Photos/Profile%20Pictures/gails_MThumb.jpg?t=63538036227" alt="Picture: Gail Sampson" />
Gail Sampson

​We clean each Quad water system once a minth. They are on a maintenance rotation so that each quad is cleaned monthly.  Since we have switched to the RBP liquid gold we no longer have the build up in the pans or in the resivoir. To do a good cleaning the best way is to pull the water box out , at that point you can pull the pan to clean it.

Gail Sampson68011/7/2016 9:40 AM11/7/2016 1:56 PM
6/11/2014 11:29 AM
Edited: 11/7/2016 1:57 PM
Gail Sampson
Using the wet/dry for a quick clean is good to get by in a pinch like when you get a bunch of solvent in your tray but I like the module pulled and pan cleaned on a regular basis. We do two decks per week and with only having two quadstacks it gets us clean/inspected every 4 weeks. It takes about 30 minutes to get both sides of a deck done with everyone on it. We do some other stuff too but the main reason is water system. This allows us to get the pan out and give it a good scrub then blast with super hot water. We inspect the module and bearings for wear (replace anything rough or noisy) also which keeps us from burning up shafts or going down in mid-run. I found that taking a finger full of grease and packing a layer around the bearing over the seal helps keep moisture out and the bearings last much longer. I also have the guys pop off the oscillator drive covers on the decks in service and check they are free from water/contaminates and full of grease. I still run the old style oscillator drives, as long as I keep up on them they run trouble free. I have a refrigerated etch circulator and keep the etch in the tank about 45*, this is much colder than a recirculating system normally runs but since the pans are one-way feed, it keeps them in the mid-60's. It's one of the best investments I made. I'm VERY liberal with my maintenance/repairs because I'm a Pressman first, owner second but not everyone is allowed this time. We aren't nearly as busy on the coldset line as we used to be so I might be able to go a little longer between cleaning but it's what the guys know and it's a good habit.​ Another thing I learned is that it's best to put your maintenance schedule on the very first thing Monday morning. Seems like if it's done whenever there is free time, or at the end of the week it always gets pushed for some reason. Maintenance needs to be the first thing on the list for the week, can't run well without it. 
Picture Placeholder: Randy Leopard, Oregon Web Press
  • Randy Leopard, Oregon Web Press
Gail Sampson
Using the wet/dry for a quick clean is good to get by in a pinch like when you get a bunch of solvent in your tray but I like the module pulled and pan cleaned on a regular basis. We do two decks per week and with only having two quadstacks it gets us clean/inspected every 4 weeks. It takes about 30 minutes to get both sides of a deck done with everyone on it. We do some other stuff too but the main reason is water system. This allows us to get the pan out and give it a good scrub then blast with super hot water. We inspect the module and bearings for wear (replace anything rough or noisy) also which keeps us from burning up shafts or going down in mid-run. I found that taking a finger full of grease and packing a layer around the bearing over the seal helps keep moisture out and the bearings last much longer. I also have the guys pop off the oscillator drive covers on the decks in service and check they are free from water/contaminates and full of grease. I still run the old style oscillator drives, as long as I keep up on them they run trouble free. I have a refrigerated etch circulator and keep the etch in the tank about 45*, this is much colder than a recirculating system normally runs but since the pans are one-way feed, it keeps them in the mid-60's. It's one of the best investments I made. I'm VERY liberal with my maintenance/repairs because I'm a Pressman first, owner second but not everyone is allowed this time. We aren't nearly as busy on the coldset line as we used to be so I might be able to go a little longer between cleaning but it's what the guys know and it's a good habit.​ Another thing I learned is that it's best to put your maintenance schedule on the very first thing Monday morning. Seems like if it's done whenever there is free time, or at the end of the week it always gets pushed for some reason. Maintenance needs to be the first thing on the list for the week, can't run well without it. 
Gail Sampson68011/7/2016 10:04 AM11/7/2016 1:57 PM
9/11/2014 1:42 PM
Edited: 11/7/2016 1:55 PM
Gail Sampson

​Once a month is about the same we clean them. There's no easy method that I know of, just take them apart and get everything cleaned up good. Marine grease is used on the outside of the bearing's to help them to last longer and to keep the fungus down a little clorox in the tank helps​. ​

Picture Placeholder: Mike Burke - Park Press
  • Mike Burke - Park Press
Gail Sampson

​Once a month is about the same we clean them. There's no easy method that I know of, just take them apart and get everything cleaned up good. Marine grease is used on the outside of the bearing's to help them to last longer and to keep the fungus down a little clorox in the tank helps​. ​

Gail Sampson68011/7/2016 12:32 PM11/7/2016 1:55 PM
9/9/2014 10:30 AM